Preparing for Your Surgery
At St. Helena Hospital Napa Valley and Clear Lake, we’re here with you every step of the way to make sure you have the best possible surgical experience. Here's what to expect and always follow your doctors instructions.
Taking the right steps before surgery can help ensure your comfort and minimize the risk of complications. Here are a few guidelines that will help you, your physician and our staff:
- Refrain from eating or drinking anything after midnight the night before your surgery. This includes water, coffee, tea, gum and candy. You can brush your teeth, but do not swallow the water.
- Bring a complete list of the medications you take, including both prescription and over-the-counter drugs, to your pre-surgery visit. Get instructions from your doctor about taking medicines before your surgery.
- Contact your doctor if you develop a cold, sore throat, fever or other illness near the day of your surgery.
- Shower or bathe as usual, but do not apply lotion, deodorant or powder.
- Arrange for someone to drive you home after your surgery and stay with you overnight.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing and stable, comfortable shoes.
- Leave valuables at home, including jewelry and electronics. We are not able to take responsibility for these items. If you wear dentures or glasses, they will be kept in a safe place during your surgery. If you use contact lenses, bring a case for them.